Grand piano by Grotrian-Helfferich-Schulz/ Th. Steinweg Nachf., Braunschweig 1879

Städtisches Museum Braunschweig [Municipal Museum of Braunschweig]

Clara Schumann (portrayed by J.M.Nauhaus during a guided tour in spring 2006) at her piano (Photo: Monika Heidemann)
Clara Schumann (portrayed by J.M.Nauhaus during a guided tour in spring 2006) at her piano (Photo: Monika Heidemann)

This salon grand with serial number 3848 was sent to Clara Schumann on 24th December 1879 from Braunschweig to Frankfurt am Main. It was returned to the companyduring the year of her death, together with a second salon grand which the pianist had acquired in 1886. As early as 29th October 1895, Clara Schumann had already returned a grand salon to Braunschweig, which she had purchased in 1889. 

In 1930, this piano, purchased in 1879 for domestic use, was given by the Grotrian-Steinweg family, together with other keyboard instruments, on permanent loan to the Municipal Museum of Braunschweig which already holds an interesting collection of musical instruments of some 400 exhibits. In 1985, the permanent loan arrangement was changed into a generous donation. The Clara Schumann piano is nowadays part of the permanent exhibition at the Haus am Löwenwall. It was last made to sound on the occasion of the opening of the cabinet exhibition "..vergnügter Abend bei Methfessel - Clara Wieck-Schumanns Konzerte in Braunschweig" ["..lively evening with Methfessel - Clara Wieck Schumann's concerts in Braunschweig"] on 12th March 2006 by Jozef De Beenhouwer (Antwerp) performing works by Clara and Robert Schumann.

(J.M.N., translated by Thomas Henninger)

Wir verwenden Cookies, um Ihnen den bestmöglichen Service zu gewährleisten.

Wenn Sie auf unserer Seite weitersurfen, stimmen Sie bitte der Cookie-Nutzung zu!

Ich stimme zu!