Archives – Library – Museum
Bilker Str. 12-14
Telephone: 0049 (0) 211 - 89 929 02
Fax: 0049 (0) 211 - 89 29 044
Telefon: 0211 - 89 92 902
Telefax: 0211 - 89 29 044
Archives: Mo-Fr 9-16.30 h, Appointments by telephone arrangement
Library telephone: 0211 - 89 95 572
Mo-Fr 9-16.30 h, advance notification appreciated.
Museum telephone: 0211 - 89 95 588 or 0211 - 89 95 579
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sun: 11-17 h; Sat: 13-17 h
Cashier telephone: 0211 - 89 95 571
Adults EUR 4.00, EUR 2.00 with reduction
Free entrance for children and adolescents up to age 18
Happy hour: free entrance from 16.00 h
Prices for groups and guided tours on request
How to find us:
You can reach the Institute by public transport from the following stations:
Heinrich-Heine-Allee (underground lines U 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79),
Benrather Straße/ Kasernenstraße (703, 706, 712, 713, 715),
Polizeipräsidium [Police Headquarters] (709) every few minutes.
The entrance to the museum at Bilker Str. 12 is manned Tue – Fri from 11.00 h and at weekends during opening hours; outside these hours please use the entrance at Bilker Str. 14.
The Heinrich Heine Institute in the state capital of Düsseldorf, with its extensive archive and library holdings, is a centre of international Heine research and, moreover, provides access to other highly diverse types of academic collections, such as the Rhenish Literature Archive or the Schumann Collection. The museum of the Institute addresses a public interested in Heine with its permanent exhibition themed “Heinrich Heine. Closeness and Distance”, but, through alternating special exhibitions, also provides information on subjects arising both from research surrounding Heine and various Heine references, as well as from other thematic priorities of the Institute in the 20th century.
A regular programme of events introduces to the holdings of the archives and the library, provides information on the current state of research, surveys the special exhibitions, and offers a forum to facilitate access to critical literature reviews and discussions.
The Schumann Collection in the archives of the Heinrich Heine Institute
The Schumann Collection with works by or items relating to Robert and Clara Schumann forms the centre of the music department in the archives of the Heine Institute. It comprises autographs, engraved copies, presentation copies, first editions, portraits, as well as a few personal memorabilia (such as pieces of jewellery, candlesticks, a wid. veil of Clara Schumann). The focus of the collection is on Robert Schumann’s compositions from his time in Düsseldorf between 1850 and 1854, such as the manuscript of the oratorio “Der Rose Pilgerfahrt” [“The Pilgrimage of a Rose”], and the manuscripts of “Messe” [“Mass”] and “Requiem”. The Schumann portrait by the French artist Laurens also goes back to that period. Apart from these, the most outstanding items of the collection are the music manuscripts of the Three String Quartets Op. 41 and the manuscript of the Piano Concerto in A minor Op. 54, as well as an ivory miniature by an unknown artist, showing a portrait of the young Robert Schumann around 1830. The holdings further include some 180 letters by Robert Schumann. The collection is complemented by portraits and about 800 letters by Clara Schumann.
At the former home of the Schumanns at Bilker Straße 15, the Heine Institute, in conjunction with the Robert Schumann Society, established a memorial (see there) to commemorate Schumann’s activity as music director in Düsseldorf. Documents from the Schumann Collection and a square piano from the workshop of Johann Bernhard Klems of Düsseldorf are on display here.
(Marianne Tilch / Translation by Thomas Henninger, 2013)
Wir verwenden Cookies, um Ihnen den bestmöglichen Service zu gewährleisten.
Wenn Sie auf unserer Seite weitersurfen, stimmen Sie bitte der Cookie-Nutzung zu!